Tasty Korean Dumpling (Mandoo)
Ingredients for Soon Kueh filling:
- 1 turnip, shredded
- 200g dried shrimps, soaked
- 50g dried chinese mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 200g chicken fillet, sliced into strips
- 500g chives, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chicken stock
Ingredients for the Soon Kueh dough:
- 450ml cold water
- 450ml hot boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500g rice flour
- 50g tapioca flour
Method (Soon Kueh filling):
1. Fry garlic till they are dark brown in colour.
2. Add the dried shrimps, diced mushrooms, chicken strips and white pepper to garlic.
3. Add turnip and some chicken stock. Final filling should look slightly moist in texture and light brown in colour. Set aside.
Method (Soon Kueh dough):
1.Mix both flour together in a huge glass bowl and add cold water to mix till smooth liquid is formed.
2.Boil the 450ml water in a pot and then stir in the salt.
3. Pour the dough liquid into the boiling water, mix thoroughly till the mixture thickens. When dough is almost done, remove from heat.
4. Allow dough to cool before making the kueh, as it will not otherwise not be pliable and will tear.
5.Sprinkle some tapioca starch on your hand, pinch some dough and portioned the dough into little round balls. (Divide into the same number of portions as the filling)
To make the soon kueh, roll the ball into a flat disc. Spoon some filling onto the wrapper and the edges together to seal then twist patterns along the edges.
Steam on a greased tray lined with banana leaf for 12 minutes.
Brush some garlic oil over kuehs – prevents sticking. Serve Soon Kueh hot garnished with fresh chopped chives, fried shallots, sweet soya sauce and chilli sauce.
Don't forget to Print this Recipe
Do you like this recipe?