Ingredients for Vegetarian Bee Hoon:
- 400 g rice vermicelli (beehoon)
- 200 g bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 20 dried or fresh shitake mushrooms, for dried shitake, soaked till soft, discard the stems and slice the caps
- 200 g round cabbage, sliced thinly
- 100 g french beans, sliced into ½ inch
- 150 g carrots julienned
- 2½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 1½ teaspoons salt to meet taste
- Pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Soften vermicelli in cold water for 15-30 minutes till soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok over high heat and add shredded mushrooms and carrots and stir-fry until fragrant. Add sliced cabbage, french beans, bean sprouts, soy sauce and vegetable stock. Stir evenly then braise over low heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add vermicelli. Cook until water is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Stir continuously to coat all the noodles and incorporate all the vegetables. (Be careful or bee hoon will stick)
4. Use tong or a large pair of chopsticks to toss the vermicelli, so as not to risk breaking it up and making it mush.
5. Serve hot.
Do you like this recipe?