Nasi Lemak. This Sambal Udang is easy to cook with step by step instruction in preparing the dish.
Recipe for Sambal Prawns
Ingredients for Sambal Prawns:
- 1 lb med to large-sized prawns or shrimp, shelled or un-shelled
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- Sugar and salt to taste
- 10 shallots
- 2 tsp belacan
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp chili paste
- 4 candlenuts
- In a small bowl, break a small chunk of wet tamarind using your fingers, strain, discard seeds, set aside. You should end up with a fairly thick brownish fluid called "tamarind water"
- Grind shallots, garlic, belacan, candlenuts, chili paste into a paste
- Heat wok on high, add oil, stir-fry ground paste till quite toasted and oil starts to ooze, about 5 mins
- Add onions, tomatoes, tamarind, sugar, salt to taste
- Cover, reduce heat to med, simmer till tomatoes are well stewed [mash with spatula] and sauce thickens
- Add prawns, stir-fry until just opaque - do not overcook!
- Dish onto serving plate, allow to sit 10 mins or so, for prawns to absorb flavors
- Serve with steamed rice or Nasi Lemak.
Do you like this recipe?