Mutton Soup - mutton bones, shanks or ribs are slow simmered with aromatic herbs and spices. Garnished with fried shallots and fresh cilantro, it is a hearty meal served with steamed rice. This flavorful soup - surprisingly earthy, satisfyingly meaty, elegant and subtle - will forever change the way you view soup. Oxtails are perfect in this recipe to make Sup Ekor, also called Sup Buntut [Oxtail Soup].
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 2.5 lbs. mutton ribs, trimmed, cleaned
- 5 oz: onions, peeled, chopped
- 3/4 oz : garlic, peeled, crushed
- 3/4 oz: green chillies, sliced
- 1 oz: galangal (blue ginger), peeled, grounded
- 2 oz: KNORR Perencah Seasoning Powder
- 3 quarts : water
- 1 oz: MAZOLA Corn Oil
- 3/4 oz: ginger, peeled, grounded
- 6 : black cardamom seeds, crushed
- 3/4 oz: curry powder
- 1/2 oz: white poppy seeds
- 1 oz: coconut milk
- 1/2 oz: white peppercorns, freshly grounded, to taste
- onions, peeled, sliced, fried
- spring onions, sliced
- 10 spg : cilantro leaves, trimmed,
- Place the mutton ribs, chopped onions and garlic, sliced chillies, galangal and perencah seasoning in a stock pot. Fill it with 3 litres of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until the mutton ribs is tender.
- Gradually skim the fat with a spoon. Strain, keep the stock aside. Remove the mutton meat from the bones.
- Cut the meat into small pieces and keep warm.
- Heat corn oil in a soup pot over medium heat, add in grounded ginger, crushed cardamom seeds, curry powder and white poppy seeds and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk, the stock and the cooked mutton meat. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and adjust seasoning.
- Place the soup in 10 warmed soup plates and garnish with fried onion, sliced spring onions and coriander leaves.
- Served with either bread or rice
Recipe source - Yahoo Answers
Print this recipe
Do you like this recipe?