This is one of the most popular ice cream in the Philippines, where sweet, juicy mangoes grow in abundance. It is also a great favourite in Singapore, where it is enjoyed during a perfect sunny afternoon!
Ingredients for Filipino Mango Ice Cream:
- 6 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- 500 ml full cream or skimmed milk
- 350 ml fresh mango
- 250 ml whipping cream
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolk and sugar together until light and frothy.
- Heat milk until scalding in a heavy-based saucepan, then pour it slowly into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Strain milk and egg mixture back into pan and place it over heat, stirring all the time, until it thickens. Let cool.
- Mash mango flesh with a fork for chunky texture, or put it in an electric blender and whiz to a puree.
- Strain cooled custard into a bowl and whisk in whipping cream.
- Beat mango puree until thoroughly mixed, then pour into an ice cream maker. Churn until frozen.
- Without an Ice Cream Maker - Alternatively, pour mixture into a freezer-proof container and freeze for 2-3 hours, beating with a fork periodically (Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes) and stirring while it freezes to break to ice crystals. Repeat steps until the ice cream is frozen.
- Serve with waffle or your desired preferences.
Recipe Submitted by Is
Do you like this recipe?